Having a truly fabulous life requires a bit of maintenance.
Zig Ziglar said it best when he said: “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing — that’s why we recommend it daily.”
Because when you shower, you will get dirty again, you will need to shower again. When you eat a meal, you will get hungry again, you will need to eat again. When you buy toilet paper, you will use it up and need to buy more toilet paper again. When you are happy details and motivated you will get down again, you will have to get happy and motivated again.
Nothing lasts forever. It’s never a “one and done” type deal, but rather a practice, an evolution and continuation of growth. You have to keep doing things over and over again to keep up your quality of life.
These are 10 things I do [all the time] to ensure a fabulous life. And you can be doing them too!
(in no particular order)
1. Change my thoughts If I think something is hard I wonder what it would feel like if it were easy. I constantly monitor my thoughts and change them to ones that feel better. Your thoughts create your reality. When I’m not feeling great, I follow that feeling back to what I was thinking about and I change the thought.
2. Forgive I forgive you and I forgive me. I let myself off the hook. I’m not perfect, no one is. I reflect on the past and see what still bugs me today and forgive. I let go of anger and resentment that gets carried around like a huge weight on my shoulders. I let myself live without it. It doesn’t change the past to keep it, so I let it go. I do this constantly with new stuff that comes up each day. I use the mantra: I forgive you. I’m sorry. I love you. Most of the time I am talking to me.
3. Move my body If I am not at the gym taking a body sculpting class, Pilates or yoga class, I am walking outside. I just go out the door and go. Often I make it to the beach and walk there. Everyday I move my body. It keeps things in flow all around me.
4. Eat fresh foods I’m really conscious of what goes into my body too. Fresh foods and whole foods nourish your body and your soul and add to your energy and overall good feeling. I treat the inside like the outside.
5. Upgrade old things I replace stuff that’s worn and old. I purge things that are no longer needed. I buy new items like socks, underwear and towels often. The things that are closest to your body are the most important. Sometimes I purge people and find new and better ones too. It’s all about keeping up with where you are in life.
6. Practice gratitude I don’t let myself forget what I have in my life. (Even if not all dreams are fulfilled yet). I thank myself for showing up everyday. You get more of what you focus on and it’s all about the little things. Even if I find a quarter on the street, I pick it up and say, thank you. I reflect every Sunday on all the wonderful things that happen each week and the wonderful people I have in my life.
7. Practice self care, self love and putting myself first Like they always say on an airplane, if the oxygen mask comes down, you put in on yourself first. I don’t feel guilty about making sure I am taken care of before I go and try to take care of anyone else. I get massages, manicures, pedicures, energy clearings and anything else I need to be at my best. I invest in myself. I educate myself with new knowledge. I give myself gifts too. Most important, I talk to myself like I would someone I love.
8. Help others I do work that serves others but even when I’m not with my clients, I try to do little things that serve people whether it is offering a helping hand, sending a gift, giving to an organization, doing something nice for a family member or volunteering. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside when you help others. I like to contribute and give back when I can.
9. Take vacation I get away and reset! Even if I just go somewhere for a weekend I do it as often as possible. Changing your environment is great for shaking things up. I try to always have something booked on my calendar because even the anticipation of the travel can be really exciting and make you happy. At least once a year I go out of the country and shut off my phone! I know right? It’s so freeing.
10. Get grounded I tune in to where I’m at in the moment. I remember to enjoy the present. It’s all we have. I keep myself from feeling down or out of control by bringing myself back to now, walking barefoot on the earth, sand, grass, concrete or anywhere that helps me feel connected.